The history of the city of Tubarão begins in 1774 with the donation of two sesmarias (a piece of land granted during the Brazilian colonial period) to Captain João da Costa Moreira, its pioneering founder. That place known as Paragem do Poço Grande (Stopping Place of the Big Well) was a rest spot for travelers who came down the mountains carrying cheese, jerked beef and other products that were exchanged for products like salt, dried fish and fabrics, completing the route Lages – Port of Laguna. On May 27, 1870, the president of the Province sanctioned law number 635 that created the city of Tubarão, a territory separated from Laguna. The county of Tubarão was created in 1875. IN the 1870’s, there were two important facts: the immigration from Europe (mainly Italy and then Germany Germany and other countries) and the formation of the British company The Donna Thereza Cristina Railway Co. Ld. The name Tubarão, derives from the native chief Tub-nharõ (from the Guarani = ferocious father). Later, Tubarão received immigrants from Portugal generating a warm and entrepreneuring people.
Tubarão – known as the Blue City – is located in a privileged place. It is close to the sea, to the mountains and to thermal water springs, cut by the highway BR-101 and by the strong River Tubarão that comes from south to east, dying at Santo Antonio Lagoon. It is the commercial pole of the region that includes 18 cities besides being the academic center of the south of the state of Santa Catarina. The city has two thermal balnears – Guarda and Rio do Pouso -, good hotels and a tourist steam locomotive trip.
A runaway slave discovered Termas da Guarda Balneário, a thermal water balnear, located in a beautiful natural landscape. The name came from the troops of Giuseppe Garibaldi, who established a sentinel spot at that locality during the Farroupilha revolution. The first persons that had been ill and were cured there compared the water to that of Lourdes in France, calling the place Holy Guardian Angel. The place counts on complete facilities based on comfort and simplicity.
Tourist Steam Locomotive trip. A tourist train running on steam offers four choices of trips from Tubarão to Uruassanda, Imbituba, Siderópolis and Jaguaruna.
Casa da Cidade – Art and Culture Center, a permanent place for arts exhibitions and cultural presentations.
Anita Garibaldi Monument. Six kilometers from downtown.
Translation: Maria Cecília Pastorelli.
All rights reserved Santa Catarina